Monday, April 09, 2007

NYC Day 2 of my trip (April 2)

After a good night's sleep and breakfast at the hotel, Dad said "What do you want to do today?" I said "I don't know, what do you think we should do?" He said "How about we go to opening day at the Yankee's game?" I squealed with delight, "Absolutely, yes!!"

So off we went in the rental car with me navigating and Dad handling the traffic like a pro to the Bronx. Yankee Stadium is along the Harlem River and they are building the new Yankee ballpark right next door. It is slated for opening in 2009. And they are going to be hosting the All-Star game in 2008.


It was very exciting to be there. Opening day was sold out. And everyone was so pumped. The air outside the stadium was filled with anticipation. So many shops and bars along the road leading up to the stadium with all the memorabilia you could ever ask for. We bought baseball caps. I insisted on a pink Yankees cap, and was quite pleased with the one I picked out. My dad got the new Yankees fitted cap. You have to understand that we both are not Yankees fans per say. We both have other baseball teams that we follow and cheer for. But historically there is so much there to be excited about. It is an amazing place. With all those Yankee fans you can't help but be excited to be there. Deep down we are still true to our teams, but it was opening day at one of the greatest stadiums in baseball history. It was amazing. The stadium is truly amazing.


It was a 1:05pm starting time.
The game was exciting. There were two home runs and even a balk!! The fans around us were fabulous. The weather was chilly, but the sun peeked out at the end. The Yankees won. Frank Sinatra played on the overhead speakers "New York, New York" after the final out of the game. I was so happy I want to cry or laugh or just hug someone.

After we finally peeled ourselves away from our dreamy game day, we had to go navigate our way through the redirected streets around the stadium to find the freeway to take us back down to out hotel. That is how we ended up in the heart of the Bronx.

Incredible. Eye-opening. Stunning. Fascinating. The streets were filled with cars, people, everyday life. The heart of the Bronx where most likely they had no thoughts on the Yankee's game. The people we saw were just going about their normal Tuesday- after work time. I was mesmerized by *everything* I saw. I just couldn't get over the massive number of people just living and working there. I kept thinking about the number of women raising their families there. The number of people who move in there every year and then actually *stay there* for all of their lives. A whole new world. My dad kept asking if we were in another country. My heart goes out to all those who are just working day in and day out for their kids and families, with no thought of ever going to opening day at Yankee Stadium. I am spoiled. I am lucky. I am blessed. I am grateful.

No comments: